Welcome to my site! I am a huge fan of home automation and use this site to document my adventures and lessons learned. Below you can find details of my current setup and things I want to add. I have a github repository setup with current configuration and setup instructions if you would like to setup your own “smart home”
My home is powered Home-Assistant.io running on a Raspberry Pi 3 and a 16gb micro SD card.
Software on the PI
Devices I have
- Hassbian – Raspberry Pi build of home assistant
- mosquitto – Private mqtt server
As you can see, I’m just getting started in the home automation game. My future plans include:
- Replacing the existing home security system with my own.
- Replacing the existing smoke detectors with smart detectors. Update 2017-08-12: Added 1 Nest Protect to my home to replace a failing smoke detector.
- Adding door and window sensors throughout the house
- Adding a sprinkler system
- Smart outlets to monitor and manage key appliances
- More LED lights
- Smart switches for hardwired fans and lights